With the increase of cell phone use, we should all be aware of the dangers they hold. Each time we’re exposing ourselves to electromagnetic radiation (EMR). EMR is produced by electrical appliances, power lines, wiring in buildings, and other technologies; however, none that are as big of a part of our everyday lives like cell phones. From the dishwasher, microwave, alarm clock next to your bed, and the cell phone you hold for hours each day, exposure to EMR is a serious health threat. Not only do you expose yourself to radiation every time you use your phone, the tower-based antennas carrying the signals also hold a health threat. Studies have linked these to the development of brain tumors, genetic damage, and other exposure-related conditions.
Today there are more than two billion cell phone users being exposed every day to the dangers of EMR, dangers government regulators and the cell phone industry refuse to admit exist. Included are: genetic damage, brain dysfunction, brain tumors, and other conditions such as sleep disorders and headaches.The amount of time spent on the phone is irrelevant, according to Dr. George Carlo, PhD, JD, (An epidemiologist and medical scientist who, from 1993 to 1999, headed the first telecommunications industry-backed studies into the dangers of cell phone use). He states that the danger mechanism is triggered within seconds. Researchers say if there is a safe level of exposure to EMR, it’s so low that we can’t detect it.
What you need to know about Dr. Carlo’s research:
- Originally developed for the Department of Defense, cell phones devices were never tested for safety. They entered the marketplace due to a regulatory loophole.
- Questions about cell phone safety arose in the early 1990s, when a businessman filed a lawsuit alleging that cell phones caused his wife’s death due to brain cancer.
- Under Dr. Carlo’s direction, scientists found that cell phone radiation caused DNA damage, impaired DNA repair, and interfered with cardiac pacemakers.
- European research confirmed Dr. Carlo’s findings. Studies suggest that cell phone radiation contributes to brain dysfunction, tumors, and potentially to conditions such as autism, attention deficit disorder, neurodegenerative disease, and behavioral and psychological problems.• Dr. Carlo brought safety information about cell phones to the public through his book, Cell Phones: Invisible Hazards in the Wireless Age, and by creating the Safe Wireless Initiative and the Mobile Telephone Health Concerns Registry.
- The best protection against cell phone radiation is keeping a safe distance.
- Always use a headset to minimize exposure to harmful cell phone radiation.
I am not promoting wearing a tin foil hat while you are on your cell phone; however, you may think twice about how often you use your phone and maybe consider speakerphone to increase the distance of the phone from your head. There are other acute dangers with cell phones and distracting drivers as well. I challenge everyone who reads this to just try to minimize unnecessary use of your cell phone and think about what you would be doing 10-15 years ago before these little devices controlled all of our lives.